Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Gems from Student Conferences, Day One

(1)

Student: Why did you mark this? What's wrong with this?

Me: Are you asking me why I marked the eventhough on your paper?

Student: Yes.

Me: Even though is two words.

Student: No, it's not.

Me: Yes, it is.

Student: You're kidding me.

Me: Nope.

[A few beats later] Student: I got As in high school English, you know.


(2)

Me: So what do you want to say about this paper?

Student: Well, for starters, it was juvenile.

Me: You mean the way you wrote it was juvenile?

Student: No. The assignment was.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Those silly students! I have heard this one recently as well. I think the public school system has grade inflation issues.

Diana said...

Oh Jess. I know. I know.

Jason said...

That's where I had fun as a teacher. I really ragged on the douchebags who thought they knew better than me. Since it was a one-on-one conversation, I could cut loose and make them very small and still have no guilt.

I win!

Anne said...

oh my. do you have premeds?

Gleemonex said...

My students -- first-year English Comp classes -- all wrote about such elevated topics as "going mudding," and a solid 90% of them waxed lyrical on "Tombstone" when the subject was "a movie or book that has affected you in a profound way." I ask you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

Ha, Anne. I do not have any pre-meds. I have Engineers, mostly. They're a bunch. Real humdingers.

Gleemonex: mudding? Now that's classy.